Hooray, you’re engaged! Now what?! Great question. Now it’s the fun part– getting your engagement photos taken! Engagement sessions are a great way to get to know your photographer and their style before the big day. This is a great time to get comfortable being in front of camera and better yet, showing some PDA for the camera as well. The last thing you want is to look awkward or stiff on your wedding day with a photographer you barely know.
One of the biggest questions surrounding engagement photos is what to wear? Depending on time, and your photographer, you may be able to choose a couple of outfits, but if location and time constraints dictate otherwise, here are some tips for choosing the perfect engagement outfit:
1. Choose clothes that are ‘You’: When choosing an outfit for your engagement photos, make sure you pick something that you would actually wear. Choose clothing that is a crisp, classy version of your usual clothes so that you feel comfortable. Trust us, if you feel uncomfortable or your clothes don’t fit properly, that will come across in pictures.
2. Wear weather appropriate clothing: This may seem obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people choose not to wear weather appropriate clothes to their engagement photos. If you’re doing your photos in the winter, consider a cute winter jacket, or accessorizing with cute hats and mitts so that you don’t end up with photos of you and your partner shivering.
3. Avoid patterns and ‘loud’ colours: It’s best to keep your colours solid and neutral. Patterns and bright colours can overwhelm the photo when you want to focus on you and your partner. You should also make sure to coordinate what you decide to wear to avoid clashing with each other.
4. Avoid black: This may come as a surprise – isn’t black slimming, and the most neutral of all neutrals? Well yes, but when it comes to photography, this can actually be a downfall! Unfortunately, on camera, black tends to remove any hint of depth, so if you and your partner are wearing black – you end up looking like a giant human blob rather than two distinct people.
You May Also Be Interested In
- The First 9 Things To Do As Soon As You Get Engaged
- Toronto Wedding Photographers Share Their Favourite Locations For Engagement Photography in the GTA
5. Keep hair, makeup and accessories in mind: When planning for your engagement session be sure to plan ahead for hair, makeup and any accessories you might want to wear. Avoid hats or other objects that will cast a shadow on your face or hide your face in photos. Be sure to choose a hairstyle that works for the location you’ve chosen (consider a pony if you’re somewhere windy) and avoid using makeup with SPF as you will look shiny on camera.
Make sure you take time to sit down with your partner and plan for your engagement session – it is a great way to work out any kinks or camera shy-ness before the big day.